Click here to read more...

March 27, 2008
Newsletter:     
Search:        

Click Here to Order!

Return to Home Page Doctrine, Scripture, Morality, Vocation, Community Identity, Sexuality, Family, Healing, Work Art, Ideas, Technology, Science, Business Politics, Bioethics, Ecology, Justice, Peace Spirituality, Prayers, Poems, and Witness Archive of top news from around the web Columns, Reviews and Personal Essays Share your opinions, ideas, and experiences What is Godspy?
GODSPY Discussion Forums
Members must log-in before posting. If you are not a member, click here to join. Take a moment to read our frequently asked questions. And check the today page for announcements from the editors.

Navigation:

FORUMS > MISC. [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Communion In Hand: Wrong?
Created On August 31, 2005 10:40 PM
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - Peace of Work
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - alexander caughey
  Communion In LEFT Hand: Wrong? - Kevin Humphreys
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - gina
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - the_rev
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - ignatius
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - gina
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - Vesenaz68
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - Antigone
  Communion In Hand: Wrong? - 838790

Peace of Work

August 31, 2005 10:40 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

If the papal decree is that laymen of the church are to handle the blessed sacrement only in cases of emergency, is taking communion in the hand wrong? John Paul II did not give communion in the hand later in his pontificate, and Mother Theresa stated it was one the most tragic actions one could make and never allowed the Sisters of Charity to recieve the eucharist "in hand".

Bottom

alexander caughey

September 26, 2005 12:11 PM

Jesus the Christ had no problem delivering His life into the hands of His friends, at the Last Supper.
Why should we presume that acceptance of the total life of The Christ into our hands, is less desirable than by direct delivery into our mouth?

Bottom

Kevin Humphreys

December 03, 2005 5:21 AM

Once, when taking Communion in a Church in Manila, Philippines, I attempted to take it in my usual way,
by having it placed in my right hand and lifting it with my left hand ( I am left handed ). The priest insisted that
i MUST lift it with my right hand - I assumed that he, like those of the Islamic Faith, considered that to take it
in my left hand was considered to be unclean?

Bottom

gina

December 08, 2005 5:25 PM

If only we knew the suffering our Lord endure when His Most Precious Body is being recieved in our sinful hands that we used prior to itch ourselves or the like. Communion in the hand is a gate way for satan to abuse the Eucharist. Is it really that difficult to follow Catholic teaching and recieve our Lord in our mouth? You do know that recieving Communion in the hand began in Holland and was declared acceptable only in those areas where it was a custom. Ask your grandparents if it was a "custom" in the US before liberals made it one now. I dont mean to be controversial but i intend to be truthful for Our Lord's Body should be protected and adored to the fullest. There should be no exceptions to this and there should be no modernizations in our faith for it was established by God Himself through His Apostles and His teachings were and are PERFECT.

Bottom

the_rev

December 12, 2005 5:00 PM

I personally receive on the tongue whenever I can. However my parish priest is a liberal so he would harass me constatly for receiving on the tongue that is the only time I receive on the hand. If I visit churches etc. and the priest is giving the body of Christ I will receive on the tongue. I will not allow an extraordinary minister place it on my tongue though. When receiving on the hand I always have it placed in the left hand, pick it up with the right hand, and then cup my hand over to make sure no particles from the host drop.

When I'm a priest I intend to be the only one who distributes the Body of Christ or another priest/deacon, etc.

In Christ,

Ed

Bottom

ignatius

December 13, 2005 12:33 PM

No it is not wrong. it is allowed under an indult for the United States.

Bottom

gina

December 13, 2005 4:48 PM

I completely agree with the_rev when he says that only the priest should distribute communion. Rev i'll be praying for your vocation. I will also be praying that you remain in union with the Holy See and stick to your traditional Catholic ethics.

About Communion in the hand being an indult for the United States. Do you think that the Vatican could have done otherwise once it was made a custom by "liberals" with out causing a schism? If things dont change millions will drift from the Faith and loose sight of Truth.

Bottom

Vesenaz68

January 16, 2006 8:50 PM

I came across this thread a few days ago, and I'm nonplussed. I can't imagine that Jesus Christ or the Father cares if we receive Him in our hand or in our mouth; I'm sure my mouth is as, if not more, dirty than my hand. I think my own practice of Catholicism may be rather lax compared to some readers here, but when I think of the ways to improve my relationship of faith, abstaining from receiving communion in the hand doesn't even register.

Bottom

Antigone

February 18, 2006 1:55 PM

Don't worry, Vesenaz68---you're not alone! :-)

Itches are not sinful, gina, and scratching them does not constitute a "dirty act". ;-) As it is, we take the Body of Christ in our germ-breeding mouths, mash it against our plaque-y teeth (and I remember a priest telling me that the original word that Christ used when he said "Unless you eat of this bread..." is closer in meaning to "gnaw", not "eat"), we mix it with saliva, swallow and dissolve it with our gastric juices, and eventually, the material passes through our intestines and what is not absorbed is defecated. Our waste is flushed into the sewer.

This is an incredibly, incredibly shocking and instrinsically bodily act.

It is also God's plan. Rather than focusing on how shocking it is to take the Eucharist in one's hand (an act which, as ignatius points out, is PERMITTED by the Church) we would probably do better to focus on how shocking and mind-boggling God's gift of the sacrament of His own Body and Blood to be consumed and digested, really is. This, truly, is radical love.

Bottom

May 06, 2006 9:21 AM

I have to admit that when this practice first started (I was a youg boy) it troubled me. Even at a young age, I questioned why was this being done. I had grown up in the Church when receiving Communion required you to approach the altar, kneel behind the railings and receive Communion in the mouth by a priest. An altar boy (not girl, not server) would hold a plate under your chin during the process. Don't get me wrong, I am only 42 years old, but to me this was a special way of doing it. But like all change, we learn to accept and adapt. A few years back, I found a small Catholic Church in a small Italian part of downtown. It was there that I observed that some people insisted on doing it the old way. They walk up, quickly kneel on the floor and open their mouth. Those people will also purposely get in the line where the priest is giving the Communion and not a lay person. I liked what I saw. However, this is not my parish. I only go there if I happen to be downtown in the morning. At my parish people don't do it the old way. If they did, I would probably do it also. But I would hate to be the only one.

Edited: May 06, 2006 at 9:32 AM by 838790

Bottom

FORUMS > MISC. [ REFRESH ]
Click to buy at Amazon.com!
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertise | About Us

FuseTalk 3.1 - Copyright � 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.